Create a secure password
A secure password is one that can’t be easily guessed or cracked with software tools. The more complex your password is, the better.
- Use a combination of upper and lower case letters, symbols, and numbers.
- Make sure your passwords are at least 8 characters long.
- Use abbreviated phrases or acronyms to help you remember a complicated password.
For example: You can turn the phrase ‘I love to bring communities together’ into ‘iL2bC2G’ or add punctuation for added security: ‘@iL2bC2G%’.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Log out of websites when you’re done with them.
- Use common phrases, numbers, or letter groupings (For example: Qwerty, 12345678, password, 111111)
- Use a solitary word. Hackers have dictionary-based systems to crack these types of passwords.
- Use the same password for multiple websites.
- Share your password.
Use a password manager
Using a unique and complex password for all of your online accounts is critical to protecting your personal data. Creating and remembering so many unique passwords can be challenging though, which is why security experts recommend using a password manager.
A password manager can help you save and enter your login credentials for each website. They can also assist in creating strong passwords, as well as syncing your account logins across all of your devices.
Here’s a list of free password managers.
Look out for phishing
Phishing is an attempt to access your account by getting you to enter your login, password, or other sensitive information into a fake website, pop-up, or email. Please beware of the following types of messages:
- Messages that claim to have your password attached. Our password reset process involves sending members a secure link that will allow them to reset their password. SurreyNetwork.ca will never send a password to you via email.
- Messages asking for your personal information. SurreyNetwork.ca will never ask you for:
- Your account password
- Financial information or social insurance number (SIN)
- Your full credit card number or PIN. When you make a purchase on SurreyNetwork.ca, you may need to enter your card details. This information is encrypted and securely processed by world class payment processors, such as PayPal and Stripe.